Citizens Advice Swindon

Citizens Advice would like to reassure residents that they are still able to be contacted via email or telephone, some of the things that they can help with are:

  • Benefits issues, overpayments, change of circumstances
  • Benefits entitlement and help to claim UC for the first time
  • Help to claim PIP, Attendance Allowance, Carers Allowance
  • Debt - although much has been put in place in relation to payment holidays it is imperative that those with existing debt still seek advice at this time to avoid this spiralling out of control
  • Housing issues - renting or mortgage, problems with landlords
  • Employment - understanding rights, job retention scheme and self employed income support

You can contact them on: 0344 499 4114 or visit their website

Domestic Abuse

If you are experiencing domestic abuse, help is always available, below are some links that may be helpful.

Domestic abuse - Help and advice, Swindon Borough Council

Domestic abuse - Help and advice | Swindon Borough Council

Swindon Domestic Abuse Support Service

About us – SWA Domestic Abuse

Environment Agency

The Environment Agency's hotlines operate 24 hours a day.

Environment incident hotline

Telephone 0800 80 70 60


Telephone 0345 988 1188

Type talk (for the hard of hearing) 0345 602 6340

Fire Service - Westlea

Westlea Fire Station is a day-crewed station, with two watches each working three days on and three days off. Firefighters are on station during the day, and respond from home at night.

In an emergency call 999


Gas - Do you smell Gas?

Here's what to do:

Step 1 - Call immediately

If you smell gas in your home or business, call Freephone 0800 111 999 immediately.

Wales & West Utilities are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and will send out an engineer to keep you and your property safe.

Step 2 - Turn off all your gas appliances

And, if possible, switch off the gas at the meter (unless the meter is in the cellar or basement, in which case don’t go in).

Step 3 - Open windows and doors

Open all your windows and doors

Step 4 - Do not use any electrical appliances

This includes switching your lights on or off

Step 5 - Do not smoke

Do not smoke or use naked flames

Step 6 - If there’s a smell of gas in the cellar or basement

Please wait outside or with a neighbour.

What happens next?

Once Wales & West has stopped the gas leak, their engineer will explain that any work on appliances (e.g. cookers, boilers or fires) has to be carried out by a Gas Safe Registered engineer.

You can find details of Gas Safe Registered engineers here.


Whatever you're going through, a Samaritan will face it with you. They are here 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Call free 116 123

You can get in touch online here

SSE - Power Cut

Scottish & Southern telephone lines are open 24 hours a day.

To report a power cut or damage to electricity equipment call 105

Thames Water

Thames Water Customer Services: 0843 636 6972

Contact Thames Water online here

Wiltshire Police

You can contact Wiltshire Police online here

In an emergency call 999

Non-emergency call 101